Thursday, August 26, 2021

memento.


with summer came a bit of a change on the jelly cupboard.
my long owned silk hydrangeas in a vintage flour tin,
a bess streeter aldrich (favorite author) book,
antique picture frame from the hub's side of the family,
and the bread bowl once belonging to my great grandmother.
the candlesticks are simply extra pretties in my collection.
i have a number of things in the guest room closet
from which to choose. changes are good.


a favorite dessert of ours:
fruit on top of greek yogurt
along with a good sprinkle of crushed
ritz mixture. think graham cracker pie crust
but ritz instead. we keep it in the freezer for
quick access. it's yUm.


in june i needed to use up a plethora of sweet bells.
i roasted two pans of the yUms after drizzling olive oil,
balsamic vinegar, garlic, kosher salt, and cracked pepper.
once cooled i used four freezer containers to pack them
and with labels secured i popped them in the deep freeze.


i've used two containers since then .. 
for a steak salad as well as pasta.
instead of letting your veggies go bad
in the dark recesses of your fridge or pantry,
roast 'em and freeze 'em
for a 'rainy day.'


as i type (sharing this post a week later) 
there are large aircraft with water in their 
bellies en route to fight fires. in the distance
emergency vehicles race into danger.
.. praying for the brave men & women fighting fires ..

hoping you make time in your day to offer thanks
for the gift of waking .. for his protection,
for growth, for daily provisions,
for blessings yet realized.

love,
.sherry.

 

14 comments:

  1. Your jelly cupboard is beautiful!!! A lovely place to decorate for seasons or mood enhancement!!! You are so smart with you groceries, it inspires <3!!! I don't remember fires like the past few years when I live in CA! Makes me sad!!! ~tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you... that jelly cupboard was a real find. :)

      the fires in so many states now are just horrendous.

      Delete
  2. Your home is always beautiful. So is your food. Only you can make roasted bell peppers look like art!

    Prayers for those fighting fires and for rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you caught me on a good day. wink.
      come over when it ain't so sweet. ha!

      Delete
  3. I love what you've done with your pretties! Great food tips, too. Praying for your safety and for those who are in harm's way fighting fires. And praying for much-needed rain!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jelly cupboard vignette is charming. Using favorite items and family heirlooms makes it especially sweet. Your dessert is right up my alley. I have fruit and yogurt almost every night. Never thought of adding Ritz crumbs. I like that idea. I agree with Deanna. Only you could make roasted veggies into art. :) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. being that i can't draw a stick figure to save my life, i suppose food is my art. ;)

      Delete
  5. Hi Sherry, I've been a bit MIA the past couple weeks, so I apologize for not being by sooner. That dessert sounds fantastic. The Ritz would give a bit of a saltiness to the topping. And I love the salty/sweet combo! Thank you for the suggestion to freeze roasted veggies. I do love veggies roasted, but I guess I didn't realize they would freeze well that way. I am going to try it.
    Oh, by the way, it's me, Patti, although I changed my username.

    Thank you for regularly stopping by my blog---you and Amelia are my only readers!

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for letting me know about your blog (name) change. i'll take care of that in two shakes.

      i blanched sliced carrots and froze them a few weeks back. thawed and heated they were absolutely horrid. the texture of rubber. gag. ;)

      Delete
  6. P.S. You might need to change the address of my blog listed on your sidebar. I changed the address. You can get there through my Blogger profile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photographs are always so beautiful and fun to look at.
    But then you through in some really great hints. Just makes reading such a enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's *so* good to *see* you lately.
      hoping all is well in your little
      corner of the world, christine.

      Delete

"if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
~ thumper