Monday, August 23, 2021

laundry.

 


i've missed having a clothesline .. 
at our previous home in a california valley i employed two lines for laundry. one of my earliest childhood memories of our clothesline included my mother hanging sheets and the aroma of snuggling into the pillow case later that evening and breathing in the fresh scent. this year the hubs suggested i set up a line in the back of the garage next to my golf cart project and in front of *scout* our 55 boles aero trailer. i haven't used the line too often this summer due to smoke and ash .. the days or even sometimes just part of a day when the air is fairly clear, i hang laundry. i love the process and the result. after pinning pieces i usually venture inside *scout* for a few minutes and rest.


the interior laundry room door has been a bone of contention the the two years we've lived in this house. continual fighting with a door that was always in the way... making the decision to remove the door and construct a 'barn door' we began sleuthing ideas, taking measurements, and researching the best avenue to make this project happen. while at a somewhat local vintage shop (thrifting and vintage'ing is a rarely enjoyed activity the past few years) we spent time in the junque (throw away, basically) section along the side of the building. i found the door - vintage perfection! and for a pittance of change we paid and loaded it into the back of our suburban assault vehicle, then on our way home. the hubs set to cleaning, priming, and painting the door - then securing the hardware (found and purchased on amaz*n) to the wall after removing the door jams and filling in holes, sanding, painting. it's all him really in this project other than me pointing and suggesting. wink. also on amaz*n i found the sweetest sticker to adhere to the window portion. while the hubs was out i took that as my opportunity to complete the project and call it a day. we love the result and no longer battle the interior door on that small space. neato.



also from the vintage junque area of the shop were ten (10!!!)
buffalo china platters for a dollar each. i bought all ten. duh.
aren't they lovely? when we moved i made the ninnie'fied
decision to release my large lot of vintage creamware.
wasn't one of my more 'bright' moves.
thankful to have found these platters though
so all is well in my little world - in that way.


do you enjoy vintage treasures?
or do you prefer modern?

14 comments:

  1. I love old things, those platters are fab. Truly.

    I love your laundry room door. It turned out great! We are going to use pocket doors in some of my parents spaces in the addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. using these new to us platters is so fun..
      food plates well on them and i'm sure tastes better. ;)

      pocket doors is a great solution!!!

      Delete
  2. Your 'new' door is perfect! Just what I've envisioned for my home but, alas, we are redoing the pocket door. Especially since this most likely isn't our forever home and we are trying to be ready for the next season of life. Your platters are great. I won't tell you that I sold about six of those to my antique dealer friend recently (wink)! That's a decision I'm still questioning.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. six? six?!?!?! ahh jeez.
      you *should* question your decision!
      lol .. someone's super happy with
      their purchase after you released
      the platters. sigh. then again, 10
      are enough for us i think... ;)

      Delete
  3. Vintage treasures ... always ... for sure!!! Love your new door

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you.. we're really liking that new door set up.
      this last weekend we were out of town and visited
      an antique shop - found 4 halsey military mugs for a
      sweet price. swOon.

      Delete
  4. LOVE the laundry room door; wanting one from kitchen to hallway near guest bedroom. We'll see. Oh, the platters - how blessed to fine 10! I love older dishes, especially bowls. Found nestling USA light green bowls at an antique store just two days ago - yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll be on the hunt for soup bowls as a go along with the platters now... they're a bit more challenging to find. but the *find* is so fun, isn't it? would love to see a picture of your light green bowls. :)

      Delete
  5. That door is perfection! I love it. We just took down a LARGE barn door in our new place that partially separated a side room. We loved it but really had no use for it and wall space was more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please tell me you gave it to your folks - they can use it in a creative way, i'm sure. if not, do you still have it?! if so i might make a special trip! if the hubs will let me that is.... ;)

      Delete
  6. I love hanging laundry, maybe cuz I feel it is a gift handed down from my beloved treasure of my Grandmother. I love your door!!!! SO smart!! And your new platters!!! I prolly like more vintage than new, but I do like new too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is this dori rather than anonymous? ;)

      that door is a real treat!

      Delete
  7. Vintage. Always. Boy, I would have snatched those platters in a heartbeat. Love the Laundry door. It's fun to see how you're prettyin' up your new place. Has it really been two years? Yikes! Time flies for sure! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

"if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
~ thumper