Monday, March 30, 2020

quiche for 2 & stew.




slow mornings call for nourishing breakfasts..
using a bit of what we have along with a bit of extra time
in prep awarded us a morning comfort meal.. 


this little 7 inch springform pan gets a work-out
in our kitchen. pies, cakes, quiche.
it's the perfect size for a smallish household. 

half pie crust recipe mixed 
then quick roll out then in the pan. 
three jUmbo eggs & 1/2 cup half n half
seasonings (salt, pepper, dried parsley)
mix the ingredients above then pour into shell
add the bacon pieces* then
1+ cup grated cheese (I used jack)

i always put a piece of foil under the pan
just in case of leakage. nothing worse! 

375 for about 40 minutes or until the middle is 
for sure w/o a doubt absolutely done...……….!
no soggy runnies at haven haus.
let it rest about 5 minutes before releasing
the spring and cuff then 10 more minutes before devouring.
and that's it in a nutshell - - or a pie shell - - of sorts.

*bacon: we bake then drain then portion then freeze
so that when the mood hits we can take a bit out
for whatever dish required or floats your boat.
and I save the bacon grease in a jar marked *oink*.


the side turned out a little wonky but
details like that don't change the flavor.
but I made sure he got that piece
anyway. ha! no... not really.
but it's funny, hm?


sliced cutie orange and baby size apple
rounded out the meal ..
and coffee. always coffee.
the hubs made the coffee and it turned out great!
think i'll keep that guy for like, ever!

.          .          .


tonight we're having leftovers.
i'm not really a "leftovers" kinda gal but choosing
to cook every two nights rather than every night
means I now eat leftovers. one night leftovers mind you...
beyond that it goes in the freezer or in the hubs tum.

tonight's leftovers?
beef stew


alongside a slice of cornbread which was a 
new-to-me recipe i'll not use again.
looks good. ho-hum-oh-so-bland.
wasn't a fan so into the circular it goes.


{it's a basic recipe * no frills}

Coddiwomple Stew

2 T extra virgin olive oil
1.5 pounds stew meat {1/2 inch cubes}
4 large celery stalks {1/2 inch on diagonal}
4 large carrots {1/2 inch on diagonal}
1 large brown onion {1/2 inch chunks}
2 garlic cloves {smashed and sliced thin}
bay leaf
1 teaspoon smoke paprika
salt & pepper {to taste}
6 new potatoes the size of eggs 
{rough sliced, cover with H2o then drain}
1/2 cup white flour
32 ounces good beef stock
15oz can cut green beans {drained}
15oz can fire roasted tomatoes {drained}

ensure everything is sliced, diced, drained before cooking.
begin by heating the olive oil in your favorite large'ish pan.
add the stew meat and brown over medium heat.
once browned, add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic,
smoked paprika, salt and pepper .. 
toss and cook for about 10 minutes.
sprinkle the flour over the mixture and toss,
cooking about 2 minutes more.
add the rough sliced potatoes .. 
toss and cook another couple minutes.

..have your crockpot ready to go on high..

pour the pan mixture into the crock pot.
add the beef stock then the green beans and tomatoes.
finally, add the bay leaf.
..stir..
put the lid on and let it go for 2 hours then reduce
the heat to low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

to consider ::: if you're using weak beef stock
put a good tablespoon of  beef better than bouillon 
in the mixture and stir, in the crock pot.
it'll help the anemic quality of some stock.

.          .         .

a gal who works at our teensie tiny market
doesn't make bread for herself
because as she said, "it's just me."

.no dear heart.
it isn't "just you." it's "you!"
so I made her a small whole wheat
ciabatta, ladled some stew into a jar,
wrapped everything up and took it to 
the market. she works hard
and deserves a hot meal once home.
In the past I brought her desserts ..
 she's my personal guinea pig.


it's the little things
that have become the big things in life.
maybe it's always been that way
and i simply lost sight... 
i know they (whoever they are) say,
"don't sweat the small stuff.."
but in present day life?
and in a slightly different gist..
the seemingly small stuff
necessitates gratitude.




.. two hour rise ..
whole wheat dough

...

after the rise it goes in the fridge for up to 2 weeks,
taking out just what you need when you need it. 
shaping then allowing it to rest then bake. 
no kneading, folks.
none.
zilch.
nada.
zip.
I find this method
makes for great baguettes,
ciabatta, pizza dough, buns.
a time saver and taste bud thriller.





.whole wheat ciabatta.


oh and did you notice the casserole style crock pot?
it's a deep interior 9x13 that can go from the fridge
to the oven to the crock pot holder 
to keep foods toasty warm. 
or use it for its intended main purpose as a crock pot!
because of its size and varied uses I was able
to downsize my baking pan collection.
that's a win win in my book.
less is more. for us it works well.

I chose the dark gray crock ..
there's also plum and navy blue.
click below for the amazon link..

I kept my 8 quart crock pot for making
stocks .. chicken or beef.

.          .          .


love you .. be kind .. be gracious
{ensure you stretch your body, your food, & your TP}
..wink..

.sherry.



6 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't write fast enough! Thank you for the share, I am going to try these receipes for sure. I never thought of using a springform pan for quiche, great idea~!

    Love ya,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great ideas! As usual, your food looks super yummy. Thanks for the crock pot info, too. I just looked it up on Amazon. Blessings on this new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there GG. :)
      hope you're snuggled in, healthy,
      and stocked as needed.

      Delete
  3. Haha! Yes, the TP! I kept a roll in my tote on the drive to Colorado from Texas. Whenever I stopped for a "rest" I took my tote in with me in case they were out of TP. Then it occurred to me that it might be more sanitary for me to use my own TP and not touch the roll in the public restroom. I don't know if it made any difference, but I did feel better about it. That and my hand sanitizer! Too much information? Oh well, I did so enjoy your food photos and recipes. Beef stew is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods. And what is it with bad cornbread recipes? I mean, why is it so hard to find a good one? If you find one you love, I hope you'll share it. I like cornbread with my chili. The bread looks delish, too, but I have problems with gluten, so try to limit my intake. I think I'd like your breakfast dish. Sort of like a quiche, but better! Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not TMI at all. smarty pants move on your part during your travels. thinking of you today.

      Delete

"if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
~ thumper