Thursday, March 26, 2020

haven haus.


{a place of safety or refuge}
.. haven haus, the name we've chosen
for this lovely place in an
equally lovely location
deep in the woods.

slowly yet surely we're crossing off projects from our 
amazingly long list .. a few projects are
involved and/or costly; they've been allocated to the
"phase" column. little by little.

i'm loving how using some of my more
cottage-décor pieces from our other home
are finding a new place which
softens the angular very early 70's mountain architecture.
the cottage pieces have been painted
or upcycled, creating a new feel.



for nearly 20 years I had this vintage fence portion
surrounding two sides of our air conditioning unit,
acting as a sort of camouflage. the hubs secured
it to the living room wall in haven haus. I can change
out the overall décor - pictures, artwork, flowers, etc 
with the season. after it was in place I thought it might
look great painted espresso or black which would mean
the hubs taking the metal fence down and outside,
I'd paint it, then he'd put it back up on the wall
where fasteners were already in studs.
being that the fence portion is a bit on the heavy
side (extreme understatement of the year), 
I came to the realization that once was enough 
and i'm delighted with the original patina. wink.



painting pretty metal shelf brackets and adding
old fence board with fresh stain, completes a 
little area in the dining room. the top piece
was outside for 10 years, and 5 years before that 
it made it's home on the wall 
of my late mother in law's condo balcony. 
spraying it matte black has, in my opinion, offered new life.
the bird candle piece was a tired brass tone
so that received a fresh coat of the same paint.
the picture is a treasure from back in the hub's family.


loving the warmth of this view.
my great grandmother’s bread bowl
complements the room’s tones.  


this sideboard..
is actually an 8 foot length of upper cabinets from the kitchen!
we about broke our backs removing
the confining bulk .. added feet to the bottom
and placed the piece in our living
room under the vintage fence section. 
a smaller kitchen than
in our former home requires
creative solutions for storage. 
I believe we’ve met the need. 
the top and sides of the piece
still need to be finished and sealed.


a touch of spring..
my mother gifted me this little décor piece
eons ago. I love it and was excited
to bring it out for spring. 
and just beyond you see curtains.
not verticals. curtains!
I found the original curtains at ikea for a great price..
good quality tan linen. after washing and ironing
the panels I set to work on creating a new design.
i'll share more about that at a later date.



the loft (aka man cave), the living, the dining ..
notice shutters on the dining window
adjacent to the curtains.
please notice.
no verticals!

more later … food, i'm thinking.

love,
sherry



19 comments:

  1. Your home is a piece of art. I always admire how you two work together as a team. Keep it comin! Love ya Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Kim.
      working together as a team
      sometimes has its own "moments."
      ha!

      Delete
  2. Nothing short of beautiful, cozy and inviting! This reflects your perfection in design and composition...you have been a busy lady (and couple)! Love to you and Clark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Lucy.. ;)
      we've been sooo busy it seems
      but today is a sloth day.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVE how you've made your haven your home! Such sweet touches of 'you'. Can't wait to see more.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Ad.
      the kitchen is one of those "phase"
      projects. spendy. time consuming.
      we'll see how this progresses. ;)

      Delete
  4. Lovely home ❤️ Cabinets to a sideboard = Fantastic! sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there was a defined moment in September where I thought the thought that became a reality.
      so thankful my brain was in gear that day! ;)

      Delete
  5. Lovely home ❤️ Cabinets to a sideboard = Fantastic! sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely home ❤️ Cabinets to a sideboard = Fantastic! sally

    ReplyDelete
  7. With time to create, you are showing us your talents.
    My favorite is the vintage fence piece!! That is crazy good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes my ideas are considered 'hair brained' by certain people. sometimes my ideas turn out well. other times... not so well. this turned out well. :)

      Delete
  8. Beautimous!!! I am excited to see more!! And, hear more of this loveliness!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, tammy.
      virtual hugs across the many miles..
      p.s. the bears are awake here

      Delete
    2. I love bears!!! We explore for bear when we go to Cades Cove!!! Love it!!! Of course we have black bear here. What manner of bear do you have there. There temperaments vary greAtly!!! :-)

      Delete
  9. sorry for 3 :( my phone went crazy.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this peek inside your haven and a chance to see some of your projects! You have quite a way with making a house a home! (Those "phase" projects . . . I get it.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, not sure how I missed this post! Possibly because we were having....still are, a worldwide pandemic! I've been highly distractable! Goodness,you have made haven haus so lovely. I'm excited to see more!

    ReplyDelete

"if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
~ thumper