Monday, June 3, 2019

& in the morning.




. . . personal renewal sometimes results
from a good night's rest, even if that good rest was littered with many wakeful moments.

my father died.
may 31 at 1:35am.
at 1:57am i got the text
from one of my 431 sisters that he had passed...
waking the hubs we dressed and went on our way to the nursing home. in the car and in the still quiet
i whispered, "drive fast. safe but fast." he did and in doing so arrived the exact moment as my sister.
tearful embrace.
a somberness blanketed the car,
my father's room, our hearts.
dad's hands were still warm..
leaning in to rest on his shoulder i drew what strength
could be gathered and loved him in person one last time.
after his body was taken away we gathered his personal
effects and quietly took our leave..
















my father relocated to the sacramento area after a terrible
fall that left him with great need for skilled nursing.
being that my location is middle-ground for all the sisters
to visit and spend precious time with dad, sacramento was ultimately agreed upon and i found a skilled nursing center that would meet his needs and proximity to my home. nick-named sherwood forest due to the immense trees surrounding the facility..
dad moved in july 2017.
and "moved out" may 2019.

october 1, 1929 * * * may 31, 2019

visiting 5-6 days a week resulted in restoring the years
the locusts had eaten. at age 8 my folks divorced and age 10 we (mom & us girlies) moved 2k miles away to california to begin a new life. for a very long time i didn't understand the why of it all .. age and maturity brought realization and clearer perception as to the untidy situation. our nearly daily visits weren't always pleasant .. partly due to my father's physical and health situation and partly due to a tendency toward him being a curmudgeon. ultimately i experienced that beneath that crusty exterior of this very old-world slavic man, breathed a cream puff sweetness. these nearly two years spent with my father brought a greater understanding of human frailty, forgiveness, mercy, and grace for the more difficult of days which became much  more frequent in recent months and certainly weeks ultimately resulting in days then moments of life in a very real and raw sense.
















it was an honor to care for this man in what ways i was able, which brings to mind that God doesn't call the able - - He calls the willing and makes them able. i treasured time with my father and am humbled by God's goodness.


hold close those tender souls
placed in your lives..


a glimpse of my father .. so strong ..
so handsome .. so young.
i love you, daddy ......................... ♥








31 comments:

  1. Your story shows what a lovely treasure Jesus gave you both, Dad and Sherry but of course Clark as well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm continually reminded of the treasured gift He gave.. for all His gifts are good. ♥

      Delete
  2. What sweet thoughts as you walk through the process of the goodbyes. In the end, you were blessed by a precious gift from God that will always be a blessing to your heart. After awhile the hard times will be overtaken by the joys and precious memories of your tender care and his last days being loved by you. Praying for you, dear friend.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your mother passed fairly recently.. as such, you know the path of healing and joys of healing. love you, Ad.

      Delete
  3. My dear friend ~ this is beautiful! I have no words except to say God is good, and you show what it means to be His daughter in your expressions of forgiveness, mercy, grace and love. I continue to pray for you and your family as you go through this season. I love you ... gentle ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only in him working through me was i able to conduct myself in a manner worthy of Christ. i prayed through many mornings while driving to the nursing home... ♥

      Delete
  4. What kind words and thoughts regarding your dad. My dad has been in heaven for 38 years now, and I still miss him greatly. Praying for you and all the sisters . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{{{ gentle hugs, friend }}}}}
      may you yourself be strengthened and comforted by he who knows your heartache best.

      Delete
  5. You were very lucky to have eachother. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that God used these years in your dad’s life. Thankful you had those years lost, restored to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when i was away he'd always ask, "when's sherry coming back??" .. sweet balm to my heart. ♥

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful tribute. What a gift of time, restoration, and love the Lord gave you both...
    Praying for the Lord's great comfort for you and yours in the days, weeks, and months ahead. So sorry our dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you my dear friend ♥ ♥ ♥
      you know well the path being walked and are experiencing the blessing of sacrifice which doesn't really calculate as sacrifice when you think about it. rather, a blessing of the investment of time. ♥

      Delete
  8. Praying for you and your 431 sisters. May God truly comfort your hearts! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, I'm so sorry you lost your beloved Dad. This is a sweet picture of both of you. And a handsome one of him as a young man. Thinking of you and sending thoughts of comfort and love.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart was pounding and tears dropped...








    I understand, all to well

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know grief...
    I know the feeling...
    I know the void...
    I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the waves come and go ..
      this morning they're strong.

      Delete
  12. Sherry, sending heart hugs and love at a difficult but precious time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Sherry, Thinking about you and all that is happening. God bless you and may comfort come in the morning.
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you deanna..
      hard day today. some days i'm numb,
      some days i'm seemingly okay,
      then there's today.

      Delete
  14. Having cared for a dad who was quite the curmudgeon himself, this post touched me deeply. I am sorry for your loss, yet rejoicing with you that he is safely home...all the way home.

    Thank you for your kind words at my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish you Love and Peace. With Peace there is always power.

    Shell

    ReplyDelete

"if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
~ thumper