Monday, February 1, 2021

selah.snow.slaw.


*
firstly .. always
ensure your focus
is upward.
unprecedented times at hand.
the Word will guide & be comfort
for that which disquiets.
when we fear - faith falters.
seek Him first in all things.
speaking to myself .. and you
if applicable.

we got a bit of snow with another storm
on the heels of the most recent. 
a little upward back of our property view.


with the onslaught of snow came the hankering for ice cream
so without delay - and a hope our tiny town market
was even open, the hubs made his way down the hill,
returning with the most necessary of provisions. wink.
we had already plowed/shoveled snow from the drive
before the hubs went on his way. it was coming
down fast .. we had about 2 feet at this point in total.


soon enough though .. more wet globby white stuff fell from
the sky, the texture of thick mashed potatoes. ugh.


our fancy dancy monster snow blower performed well,
cutting through the snow slog. being that we have
a lengthy driveway it took a long time plowing. the hubs let me
have a turn with the heated handle monster. it's a heavy
machine and though it does most of the work, there's
a fair amount of heaving the driver need do as well.
i'm not strong. handing the reins back to the delighted hubs
i happily picked up a shovel and made my way to scooping
small portions and throwing them on the side bank. 
good exercise! the next morning my upper arms
were snarky. ibuprofen then back out to clean up the
overnight white stuff. i must admit it's fun.


we have lots of wood - much more than shown, 
especially after felling seven trees
last summer and the autumn before that ..
the hubs favorite activity, besides plowing snow,
is being a lumberjack .. complete with song.


somehow i doubt we'll be roasting marshmallows
anytime soon .. or sitting 'round a roaring fire out of doors.


the snow sure is pretty though, hm?


tonight while readying my morning liquid life
i found my inside coffee stash depleted. bah!
thankfully we keep a good amount in the
outside freezer - which is in the garage.
making my way outside to the path leading to the
garage i began to skate. a bit. ice.
boy howdy it's been about 50 years since
ice skating. there's a bit of an incline so i made
sure to gingerly take my steps - baby ones
little by little until i was on solid ground.
we now keep *ice melt* near the back door.
once spread it'll offer a fair amount of safety.
.i hope
liquid life is set for me to press the button
come zero dark'thirty and await its glory.


sunday morning i added a chipotle dry rub to pork ribs
and let them rest about thirty-minutes before the hubs
braved the winter weather and seared them good
out on the grill. he cut a path to the grill the night before
in anticipation. then they went in my casserole style
crock pot on low with a drizzle of spicy bbq sauce.
no other liquid was added .. here's what it
looked like about an hour from plating.



while that was slow cooking away i prepared cole slaw
using whatever vegetables were in the crisper.
green & red cabbage, celery including leaves,
carrot shreds, scallion greens.

in a separate bowl i made the slaw dressing:

1/2 cup mayo
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
just a pinch of salt

using a whisk i whirled it then poured
it over the veg. it makes a good amount
of dressing so make sure you have a good
amount of veg. we love slaw so no problem.


our starch choice was cornbread casserole. 
ever made it?
it's yUm. here's the easy peasy recipe:

1 large egg lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/2 stick butter (not margarine) melted
1 box jiffy cornbread mix
1 tablespoon sugar
good pinch of salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste
1 (15oz) can cream corn
1.5 cups roasted corn 
(i use trader joe's frozen roasted corn)

set oven to 350 & spray an 8x8 baking dish

combine all ingredients well and pour into prepped
baking dish then into the oven for about 45 minutes.
spoon onto plate and thank me later. pinky promise.

*

the rib meat was incredibly tender and offered the perfect
grill flavor - on a cold day in the elements thanks to the hubs.
do you grill food in winter? what's your favorite?


until next time .. love,
sherry

*

20 comments:

  1. Sometimes we grill burgers in the winter but otherwise we don't grill during the winter months here. Your ribs look amazing. I'll have to try making some this way! I like slaw too, your sauce looks good.

    I'm glad you enjoy snow blowing! Tim would love to see the blower! He smiled at the words "heated handle." We still just shovel (small driveway) and we usually have several hands to do it. Once the nest is empty I'm thinking a blower will become more of a priority.

    Thanks for the Psalm. So needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. burgers are good ANY time of the year! swOon. 'specially from the grill. ;) snow blowing is officially off my *job requirements* as it tweaks my back. badly. i think the hubs is thrilled to have the beast all to himself. i should carve my name in the handle of MY shovel.

      Delete
  2. Yes. Fear not, fret not set our minds on things above! : ) We are making a conscious effort to do this and it always brings joy and peace from the Lord.

    Beautiful snow. Yes, we must do what we must do to seize the coffee. Yes. : )

    Stay warm God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the Lord is pressing my heart to saturate myself in his truths. woke with the praise song on my heart: The Lord Reigns. then began delving into the psalms - beginning with chapter 28. love love love.

      Delete
  3. My mouth is watering just reading about your meal!!! Enjoy the snow; we've had so little this year in central Oregon. Thanks for the Bible verses, too. Needed those. Stay warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we'll have a meal together - either on earth or supping with the Father in heaven. ... as to snow: sometimes snow. sometimes freezing rain. sometimes rain. sometimes nuthin'. sigh. i have a feeling the fire season will be fierce again in 2021.

      Delete
  4. Your snow pictures are beautiful. Yes, we grill in the winter - in the rain! :) Like you, we'll pass on the marshmallow roast around the fire pit.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. winter grilling .. good! glad to know you partake. wink.
      i long to meet up .. hopefully in 2021. hugs.

      Delete
  5. Ok, my mouth is literally watering now after looking at the food photos and reading your descriptions. Holy cow! I want that plate right now! It's almost time for my dinner and I'm starving. (Love this post. So neat to see your new lifestyle.) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wish you could join us for some good groceries, nancy.
      tonight is a sheet pan supper: halibut & broccoli seasoned and roasted together in the oven. i'll make some rice (from a box) on the side cuz the hubs would like that little addition.

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be neighbors, Sherry? Halibut and broccoli with rice is right up my tummy's alley. Yum!

      Delete
  6. Winter wonderland <3!! I love the Psalm you posted, thank you <3 . Winter food...soups, grilled burger (year round, but we grill on Saturday's burgers), hot cocoa (homemade), mashed potatoes!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow... love the description of your yUmmy food!
      are you new to my little blog world? would love
      to know your name. :)

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful Word Picture, you gave us. Especially, skating...haha
    Yes, the snow is pretty but lots of work.
    We grill all year long, or should I say hubby grills. Your pictures look delicious.
    PS, I went back to try and find my recipe for Taco Rice Casserole, but didn't find it. I'll do an update with the recipe, (Feb 1, 2021 post).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. golly. i typed a lengthy reply then clicked the wrong button and *poof away it went. sigh. so. . .

      my hubs is the griller in our home too. i can't grill to save my life. i can sear meats but that's the limit of my skill set. a number of years back while the hubs was on a business trip i made a steak on the grill for my dinner. shoe leather. ugh. horrid. so the next night i bought another steak and called him - while he was having a business dinner with 5 of his nearest & dearest colleagues he/they talked me through the grilling process and with great success and appreciation the steak was *perfection*! then i forgot the necessary steps for future reference and since the hubs is now retired he can do ALL grilling.

      Delete
  8. Yum! You use the same recipe my mom (and I) use for the coleslaw. Have you ever tried a non-mayo dressing? I've been meaning to hunt one down. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the same recipe? great minds and all! oh... one time i added a tablespoon (or 2 i think) of dijon mustard. it was yUm.

      i have *not* tried non-mayo dressing. you can probably find it at nugget or trader joe's.

      Delete
  9. I do all the cooking in our home, hubby not interested in anything but eating. haha I have two sons who love to take over for me when they visit which I sooo appreciate. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. except for grilling, i do all the cooking and baking. i cook and bake a LOT. when i get weary of cooking and baking (ha!) the hubs treats me to a restaurant which is 'take away' only but i'll take it gladly! gosh we haven't been inside a restaurant in almost a year!

      Delete
  10. Well, this is all lovely and delicious! I love the snow pics. I miss my snowy high desert home! And the wood cutting and stacking for winter fires. And, yes, shoveling snow! I miss that, too. But I can enjoy it all vicariously through you, I guess. Thanks for the loveliness (and deliciousness).

    ReplyDelete

"if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
~ thumper