Saturday, January 9, 2021

savory & sweet.

 


: starting off with the savory :

we don't often have steak for dinner but when we do
it's truthfully a treat for the taste buds & the pocketbook.
so one evening we enjoyed rib eyes from the grill
along with splitting a baked potato aside a leafy
green salad. well. there were salad makings
remaining, along with a bit of steak,
so the next night it was steak
again! this time on a salad.
leftover steak lends
itself to use in
a few
ways:
* salad *
* fajitas *
* soup *
* stroganoff *

this night the choice was salad.
in a bowl of crisp greens, carrot,
tomato, pickled veg, feta,
& steak tucked in nicely.
.simple simon.
.delish.


this morning was chilly willy, 29 degrees at 10am.
we keep the house cool-ish, typically between
56-60. all you cold blooded folks wouldn't find
it pleasing. wink. but this morning it even felt
too cool for us so we pumped the heater up to 62!
and i clicked the oven to 300 to make granola.
an hour at 300 then i left the door open a bit
to cool down quicker. that warmth was heavenly.

i'll share the recipe below.
in a big bowl i mixed the ingredients,
making a double portion down the ingredient line.


then i divided the mix between two lipped sheet pans
with parchment paper on the bottom. no sticking this way.
after 30 minutes the mix was stirred then back
in the oven for another 30 minutes.


taking the pans out and letting them cool a bit,
i broke up the granola and put most of it in a gallon
bag which is now in the deep freeze, 
and enough for this quart ball jar
which i put in the fridge.


we squirreled some into bowls and added
almond milk for a yUmmy treat - late breakfast.


.. cOddiwOmple grAnOla ..

6 cups rolled oats
2 cups shredded coconut
2 cups chopped nuts {i used pecans}
1 cup dried cranberries {or raisins}
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1-1/3 cups honey

mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
combine the oil and honey in a saucepan
on low heat .. warming it through enough
to smooth out the honey texture. good
honey can be rather thick. 

stir in the wet to the dry, combining well
then divide and spread on the two cookie sheets
lined with parchment. bake at 300 for 30 minutes.
stir the mixture then back in the oven
for another 30 minutes. once out of the oven
let cool a bit on the counter top. it'll harden
a tich then simply break it up with your hands
and store in an airtight container. or a gallon
freezer bag then into the deep freeze.

with just two humans living in this home
it'll take us a while to finish off
this batch. when needed we'll simply
refill the quart jar, leaving the rest in
the freezer. yUm.

and now we're heading out the door for a brisk
mountain walk. i'm back to not taxing my lungs
as much - considering elevation, exertion & asthma. 
it's a good thing. seeing other folks outside
is a thrill in this c*vid existence even if we do
tend to keep our distance overall.
one day we'll share meals again at
the same table. it *will* happen.
looking forward.

purpose to bring peace to your life.
be kind to yourself.
be kind to others.
spend more time in the word.
pray more. deeper. praise!
play music on your stereo or computer
or phone or whatever device you use.
listen to a message designed to uplift
and give you hope, setting you on 
a firm foundation.
sometimes decisions must be made
in social media including being active
at all - or with certain folks.
i struggled with that one for quite
a long time before making a few decisions.
.. again ..
purpose to bring peace to your life.

blessings,
sherry

12 comments:

  1. Wish I could stop by for some granola with you! And a mountain air walk, perhaps. It would be good for the body - and for the soul.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ad, I too would that - all of it. Hugs..

      Delete
  2. Screenshot... screenshotted? Took a pic of your granola recipe to try later. I made a blueberry coconut one yesterday that my guys like and my eldest is asking for a strawberry chocolate one I make (dessert really). I love a good and simple granola recipe, can’t wait to try this one and add it to the rotation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, Dani. 😊
      Sprinkling it over ice cream is a good idea too.. we also like to add fresh banana slices and berries. This recipe is great for tweaking the ingredients for your preferences.

      Delete
    2. And... I’m curious about your strawberry chocolate granola. Yummmm

      Delete
  3. I like making granola, too. My family loves it.

    I also like using my leftover steak for another meal, I love steak on salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recipe is fairly basic.
      What do you add to your granola style?

      Delete
  4. I use to make granola in the 70's, my hippy days.
    What a fun beginning to your post. The creative way you typed it is fun.
    Now a comment about the food= DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you wear flowers in your hair in the 70s too?
      hugs. love it.

      Delete
    2. For our wedding I wore a crown of Daisies! So, yes I wore flowers in my hair!

      Delete
  5. The granola sounds delicious, my husband would love that, he eats granola for breakfast. I will have to try your recipe, I used to make it and got lazy, but yes, I need to try it one day. I have to limit my sugar intake to 3 grams per serving but hubs is much looser than I. Thank you for sharing! I appreciate you! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my husband watches his sugar intake..
      many times we'll have a bit of plain yogurt with a quarter cup granola on top. it's a delish breakfast or dessert!

      Delete

"if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
~ thumper